Sitting/Learning Arrangement , seating arrangement questions and answers for bank exams , po , ibps exam.
Questions on ‘sitting’ or linear arrangement follow a set pattern and hence, have been grouped under a particular chapter. in these questions, some conditions are given on the basis of which students are required to arrange objects, either in a row or in a circular order. while making arrangements,it sould be noted that all the conditions given are complied with. following examples will help the students to understand the pattern of such questions and also ways to solve them.
Example 1.Four men A, B,Cand D and fuor women w,x,y and z are siting round a table facing each other.
(i) No two men or women are sitting together.
(ii) w is to the right of B.
(iii) Y is facing Xand is to the left of A.
(iv) C is to the right of Z.
who are two persons sitting adjacent to D?
SOl. Using information (iii), wo can easily fix the positions of y, x and A.it is given in the information (i) that no two men or women are sitting together. hence positione of C and Z [information (iv) can be fixed in the figure. now, we can easily use the information (ii) and remaining position will be occupied by D. it is, therefore, clear that W and Y are on the adjacent sides of D.
Example 2. A, B, C, D, E, F, G and h sitting in a row facing north.
(i) A is fourth to the, right of E.
(ii) H is fourth to the left of D and E erspectively
(iii) It is next to left of A and A is the neighbour of B.
Who are sitting at the extreme ends?
Sol. From information (i), we find that there will be three persons between A and E: E A.
In the information (v), it is given that H is next to the left of A and A is the neighbour of B. using this informatio with (i), we find that E H A B. combining this with information (iii) we get the final order as E H A B D.
Now, we can use the information (iv) and make the final sitting arrangement as given in the figure.
Directions (Q.Nos. 1-3) five persons are standing in a queue. one of the two persons at the extreme ends is a professor and the other is a businessman. an advocate is standing to the right of a student. an author is to the left of the businessman. the student is between the professor and the advocate.
1.Counting from the left, the author is at which place?
- Which of the following is in the middle of the queue?
- If advocate and businessman exchange their positions, also the author and the student, then who will be standing to the left of the student?
Directions (Q. Nos. 4-6) read the following information carefully and answer the questions given below
(i) A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H are standing in a row facing north.
(ii) B is not neighbour of G.
(iii) F is to the immediate right of G and neighbour of E.
(iv) G is not at the extreme end.
(v) A is sixth to the left of E.
(vi) H is sixth to the right of C.
- Who among the following are neighbours?
- Which one among the following defines the position of D?
(a) fourth to the right of H
(b) third to the right of A
(c) neighbour of B and F
(d) to the immediate left of B
- Which of the following is true?
(a) C is to the immediate left of A
(b) D is neighbour of Band F
(c) G is to the immediate right of D
(d) A and E are at the extreme ends
Directions (Q. Nos. 7 – 8) study the information carefully and answer the questions given below
(i) six children B, D, C, M, Jand k are split in two groups of three each and are made tostand in two rows in such a way that a child in one row is exact. facing a child in the other row.
(ii) M is not at the end of any row and is to the right of J, who is facing C. K is to the left of D who is facing M.
- which of the following group of children is in the same row?
(d) none of these
- who is to the immediate left of B?
(d) data inadequate
- four girl are sitting on a bench to be photographed. shikha is to the left of reena. manju is to the right of reena. rita is between reena and manju. who would be the second from the left in the photgraph?
- five girls are sitting in a row. rashi is not adjacent to sulekha or abha. anuradha is not adjacent to sulekh rashi is adjacent to monika is seated in the middle of the row. then to whom is anuradha adjacent in the following choices?
11.on a seven members panel sitting in a row, A is in between D and F, C is in between F and G. G is in brtween C and E and D is in between Band A. find the person sitting right in the middle.
- six persons are sitting around a circular table. ajay is facing hemant who is sitting to left of arvind and right of sanjay. suman is to the right of arvind. if hemant and manoj, arvind and sanjay mutually exchange the positions, who is now sitting to the right of manoj?
(d) none of these
- five boys are standing in a row facing west. mohan is standing between umesh and suresh. prakash is standing to the immediate right of umesh. anand is standing at one of the ends of the row. who is standing at the other end of the row?
(d) suresh or prakash
Directions (Q.Nos. 14 – 15) read the following information and answer the questions given belows it.
eiht friends A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H are sitting between G and D. H is third to the left of B and second to the right of A. Cis sitting between A and G and E are, not sitting opposite to each other.
- who is third to the left of D?
(d) cannot be determined
- which of the following statemnts is not correct?
(a) D and A are sitting opposite to each other
(b) C is third to the right of D
(c) E is sitting between F and D
(d) A is sitting between C and F
Directions (Q.Nos. 16 – 18) read the following information to answer the questions based on it.
seven letters are arranged in a line as follows
(i) E and F have one letter between them.
(ii) G is to the right of A.
(iii) B is to the immediate left of F.
(iv) there is one letter batween D and A.
(v) D is not G’s neinghbour.
(vi) Gand F have two letters between them.
- which letter is second to the left of letter A?
- which letter will be exactly in the middle of the letter series so obtained?
(d) none of these
- which pair of letters is adjacent to letter B?
Directions (Q. Nos. 19 – 22) read the following information carefully and answer the questions given below.
(i) six flats on a floor in two rows – three on each row, facing north and south are allotted to P, Q, R, S, T and U.
(ii) Q gets a north facing flat and is not next to s.
(iii) S and U gets diagonally opposte flats.
(iv) R next to U, gets a south facing flat and T gets a north facing flat.
- whose flat is between Q and S?
- the flats of which of the ohter pairs then su is diagonally opposite to each other?
- if the flats of Tand P are interchanged, whose flat will be next to that of U?
- which of the combinations get south facing flats?
(d) data inadequate
Directions. (Q. Nos. 23 – 27) study the following information and answer the given questions.
(i) eight persons E, F, G, H, I, J, K and L, are seated around a square table – two on each side.
(ii) there are three lady members and they are not seated next to each other.
(iii) J is between L and F.
(iv) G is between i and F.
(v) H a lady member, is second to the left of J.
(vi) F a male member, is second opposite to E, a lady member.
(vii) there is a lady member between F and i.
- who among the following are the three lady member?
(a) e, h and j
(b) e, g and j
(c) g, h and j
(d) none of these
- which of the following is true about j ?
(a) j is a male member
(b) j is a female member
(c) sex of cannot be determined
(d) position of j cannot be determined
- who among the following is seated between Eand H?
(d) none of these
- how many persons are seated between k and f?
(d) cannot be determined
- there are six houses in a row. mr. lal has mr. bhatia has gupta’s house is not next to mr. sachdeva. who are mr. bhasin’s next door neighbour?
(a) mr. lal and mr. bhasin
(b) mr. lal and mr. sachdeva
(c) mr. sharma and mr. lal
(d) only mr. lal
Directions (Q. Nos.28 – 29) read the following information carefully and answer the questions give below it.
(i) seven books are placed one above the other in a particular way.
(ii) the history book is placed directly above the civics book.
(iii) the geography book is fourth from the bottom and the english book is fifth the top.
(iv) there are two books in between the civics and economics books.
- to find the number of books between the civics and the science books, which other extra piece of information is required from the following?
(a) there are two books between the geograply and the science bookd
(b) there are two books between the mathematics and the geography books
(c) there is one book between the endlish and the science books
(d) the civics book is placed before two books above the economics book
- to know which three books are kept above the english book, which of the following information, if any, is required?
(a) the economics book is between the english and the science books
(b) there are two books between the english and the history books
(c) the geography book is above the english book
(d) no other information is required
Directions (Q. Nos. 30 – 33) read the text and the statements carefully and answer the questions.
four people of different nationalities live on the same side of a street in four houses, each of different colour. each person has a different favourite drink. the following additional information is also known
(i) the englishey lives in the red house.
(ii) the lyalian drinks tea.
(iii) the norwegion lives in the fist house on the left.
(iv) In the second house from the right, they driny milk.
(v) the norwegian lives adjacent to the blue house.
(vi) the spaniard drinks fruit juice.
(vii) tea is drusk in the blue house.
(vii) the white house is to the right of the red house.
- milk is drunk by
(d) none of these
- the norwegian drinks
(d) fruit juice
- the colour of the norwegian’s house is
- which of the following is not true?
(a) mlik is drunk in the red house
(b) ltalian lives in the blue house
(c) the spaniard lives in a corner house
(d) the ltalian lives next to the spaniard
Directions (Q. Nos. 34 – 37) answer the questions below based on the following information.
each of seven objects T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z is placed either on the tower, middle or top shelf of the three – shelf book case that contains no other objects.
(i) at least two objects are on the top shelf.
(ii) no more than four objects are on any shelf.
(iii) T and u are on different shelves.
(iv) V is either on one shelf or two shelves above the shelf that X is on.
(v) W is either on one shelf or two shelves above the shelf that X is on.
- if V and W are the only objects on one of the shelves and four objects are on the middle shrlf, which of the following must be true?
(a) T is on the middle shelf
(b) U is on the bottom shelf
(c) X is on the bottom shelf
(d) Z is on the middle shelf
- if all the objects are on two shelves, which of the following must be true?
(a) at lest three objects are on the top shelf
(b) no more than three objects are on the middle shelf
(c) T, V and W are on the top shelf
(d) U is on the top shelf
- If V and T are the only objescts on one of the shelves, which of the following must be true?
(a) W is on the top shelf
(b) X is on the bottom shelf
(c) U is on either the middle or top shelf
(d) if U and y are on different shelves, Z is on the top shelf
- if T, V, Y and Z are on the same shelf, which of the following must be true?
(a) U is not on the middle shelf
(b) W is not on the middle shelf
(c) X is alone on a shelf
(d) if U is on the top shelf, W is also on the top shelf
Directions (Q. Nos. 38 – 41) read the data given below and answer the questions that follow.
A building has six floors, referred to as 1 – 6 from lowest to highest. six companies L, M, N, O, P and Q accupy the six floors, not necessarily in that order, with one company on one floor.
(i) N is the same number of floors from M as M from L
(ii) P and Q are not an adjacent floors.
(iii) Q is on higher floor than o.
(iv) L is on floor 5.
- which of the following is are true?
- M must be on either floor 3 or floor 4.
- O must be on either floor 1 or floor 2.
- Q must be on either floor 4 or floor 5.
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1 and 3
- which of the following must be true if N is on floor?
(a) L and P are on adjacent floors
(b) M and P are on adjacent floors
(c) O is on floor higher than floor 2
(d) Q is on a floor highre than floor 3
- if O and Q are not on adjacent floors, which of the following is true?
(a) M must be on floor 3
(b) N must be on floor 3
(c) O must be on floor 2
(d) none of the above
- which of the following must be true if N is on floor 3?
(a) M must be tow floor lower than L
(b) N must be on a floor beteen L and M
(c) O must be one floor lower than Q
(d) none of the above
Answers with solutions
for Q. no. 1 to 3
on the basis of the information given in the question, we have the arrangement of standing order of persons as given in the figure
- (d) author is fourth from the left.
- (b) advocate is in the middle of the queue.
- (b) businessman will be to the left of student if advocate and businessman, author and student exchange their positions.
for Q. no. 4 to 6
sitting order of all the eight persons will be as given in the figure
- (d) C and A are neighbours.
- (b) D is third to the right of A.
- (c) G is to the immediate right of D.
for Q. no. 7 to 8
the seating arrangement of six children in two rows would be as given in the figure
- (d) none of the options give the exact group.
- (a) m is to the immediate left of b.
- (a) shikha is to the left of reena and manju is to her right. rita is between reena and manju, so, the correct order of seating arrangement will be shikha, reena, rita, manju, hence, reena would be second from the left.
- (a) anuradha is adjacent to rashi.
- (d) on the basis of the information given in the questions, there will be two orders of seating arrangement.
B D A F C G E and E G C F A D B. in both the cases, F is at the centre.
- (d) the two orders of arrangements are shown as given in the figures
hence, in new positions, sanjay is sitting to the right of manoj.
- (d) the order of seating arrangement of all the five boys would be as given in the following figure
it is clear that if anand is at one of the ends (it can be either left or right), then suresh or prakash may be at the order end.
For Q. no. 14 to 15
following figure shows the seating positions of all the eight friends
- (a) F is third to the left of D.
- (c) staement (c) is not correct.
For Q. no. 16 to 18
letter arrangement has been shown in the following figure
- (c) D is second to the left of A.
- (d) G is exactly in the middle.
- (c) letters E and F are adjacent to B.
For Q. no. 19 to 22
on the basis of the information, the position of all the six flats can be shown as given in the following figure
- (a) T is between Q and s.
- (b) P and Q are diagonally opposite to each othre.
- (d) R’s position is not affected if T and P change their position.
- (a) URP get the south facing flat.
For Q. no. 23 to 27
on the basis of the information given in the question, the positions of all the eight persons sitting around the square square table is shown as given in the following figure
- (d) it is clear from the figure that the three lady members are H, E, G, since none of the options shows this combination, hence option (d) is our answer.
- (a) j is a male member.
- (d) k is sitting between E and H.
- (c) there are three person between K and F.
- (c) Mr. bhasin’s next door neighbours are mr . lal and mr. sharma.
For Q. no. 28 to 29
on the basis of the information given in the question, five books can be arranged as given in the following figure
two books – one science and one other can be either at the top or bottom.
- (c) form statement (c) we come to know about the position of science book, i,e, at the bottom.
- (d) no other information is required to answer the questions.
For Q. no. 30 to 33
following figure shows the arrangement of all the four persons
- (b) milk is drunk by by englishman.
- (b) norwegian drinks coca cola.
- (a) the colour of norwegian house is yellow.
- (d) fourth statement the ltalian lives next to spaniard is not correct.
For Q. no. 34 to 37
- (d) on the basis of conditions given in the question, two arrangements can be made as below
XYZ and T or XYZ and U
in both the arrangements, we see that w is one shelf above the shelf that contains X.
- (a) seven books can be kept in groups of 3 and 4 in two shelves. hence, option (a) would be correct following condition A.
- (b) if vt are the only objects on one of the shelves, then on the basis of conditions d and e, x will have to on the bottom shelf.
- (d) x will be on the last shelf. if u is on the top shelf, then tvyz are on middle shelf, then w must also be on the top shelf following condition a.
For Q. no. 38 to 41
- (a) from condition (i) N is the same number of floors from M as M is from L. this implies that M is in between N and L at equal distance. if is further given in condition (iv) that L is on fifth floor, as a result M should be either on 3rd floor or 4th floor.
- (d) if N is on the first floor, M would be on the third floor as per condition (i) now, since from condition (iii) Q is on a higher floor than o , Q will always be on a floor higher than floor 3.
- (d) if o and Q are not on adjacent floors, then none of (a) , (b) and (c) is definitely true. hence, option (d) is our answer.
- (d) options, (a) and (b) are clearly false, because Q can be on 6th floor , so o can be on 1st or ilnd. therefore, option (d) is our answer.