Question : Give an account of the powers and rights of the Prime Minister.
Ans. 1. The Prime Minister of India is the head of government while the President is the head of state. All important
decisions related to the Union Cabinet and other policy making bodies are taken under the supervision of Prime Minister of India. Prime Minister is the ex-officio chairman of the NITI Aayog. so we can say that all important decisions are taken by Prime Minister of India or in his/her supervision. So in short policies are made by Prime Minister.
2. The Prime Minister advises the President to appoint his ministers and allot their portfolios, change or accept their resignations. President has power to appoint ministers of indian government but all these appointments decisions are taken by Prime Minister of India.
3. The Prime Minister presides over all the meetings of the Council of Ministers.
4. The Prime Minister informs the President from time to time about the decisions taken by the government in relation to the central administration and laws. President of India has power to get details about anything of government decisions.
5. The decision taken by any minister can be again put up for consideration in the Council of Ministers by the Prime
Minister at the behest of the President. The President of India can asked to Prime Minister for again put up any file or topic for consideration in the Council of Ministers.
6. The Prime Minister provides leadership in the conduct of the business of the Parliament. All government bills are
prepared under his supervision and according to advice of Prime Minister of India. we can say that all major bills or decisions or laws made by Prime Minister. Prime Minister’s decisions impact the Indian system directly.
7. The Prime Minister is the chief spokesperson of the government in the Parliament of India. The official announcement related to government policy comes under the jurisdiction of the Prime Minister only. In short we can say that Prime Minister of India is real representative of Parliament.
8. The Prime Minister acts as a link between the President and the Council of Ministers. Prime Minister provides the needy information asked by President of India , and if President asked for any decision or for making to changes than this decision of president is put up by Prime Minister of India.
9. The Prime Minister also acts as a link between the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha. He advises the President on
when to call the session of Parliament, when to adjourn and when to dissolve the Parliament.
10. The Prime Minister himself takes important decisions related to foreign policy and represents India abroad. so we can say that Prime Minister represents the India on global forum. All foreign policy and treaty made by Prime Minister in real.